Saturday 27 September 2008

St. James Harves Consert

Tonight, for the first time since I came here, people form all the congregations (both the 9am service, the 11 am service, the hindi/urdu service and the tamil service) were gathered at once. On the programme for the night we had a great variety of contributions to make this Harvest consert a night to remember. And it sure was.

The show started with Mishani, 7 years old, dancing a traditional Sri Lankan dance. I was amazed that a seven-year old could remember all the steps. She was really nice dressed up as well, in a traditional costume. Then there were some singing, both in Hindi and Tamil language and style, and we also had a gospel choir singing a couple of songs.

Half way in the first part of the programme was the moment we'd all been waiting for (or at least me, because it wasn't actually on the official programme). Adrian and I were going to preform "Jesus er kongen min", or "Nearer, my God, to thee" (also the same melody as "Nærmere deg, min Gud"). We (read: Adrian) found out this morning that we should preform it, and so we did, after running through it a few times. We sang to verses in Norwegian, and two in English. Based on the feedback I think we pulled it of, and it was great fun as well! Adrian played the guitar beautifully and sang a bit, and I just sang.

In the break they served spicy Asian food - really good! And all in all it was a very entertaining night, with both solo singing, childrens choir, whole congregations singing, a 6-year old girl playing the drums (like the african ones, not the drum set) and also two girls playing the fiddle. Hopefully this is something we will do again before we leave. Maybe for Christmas?


Sorry I don't have any photos, but I didn't bring my camera nor my mobile phone. But they videotaped the whole session, so if I can get my hands on it, I'll try and post some clips.

5 comments:

Eirik said...

det hørtes ut som et fint møte:)

Anonymous said...

Harvest social er så sykt det kuleste i verden! Og du aner ikke hvor klar jeg er for litt orntli curry! Oh St. James <3x10000 =)

Helene said...

Moro:) skulle gjerne vært der og klappet ekstra høyt for dere, men regner med at det var mange andre som gjorde det?! Kult. Dere er tøffe.

Therese said...

Ja, det var heldigvis andre som gjorde det. Vi får gi dere en intimkonsert en gang, så kan du klappe da:p Det morsomme, som jeg glemte å skrive på innlegget, var at folk begynte å synge med da vi gikk over til engelsk;) Da ble det stemning:)

Mari said...

Høres ut som dere fortsatt har det gøy! Skal fortsette å lese bloggene, og iallfall prøve å bli flinkere til å kommentere... :)

Takk for sist Therese, var virkelig gøy at jeg fikk truffet dere sist helg!! Kos dere masse videre!!