Wednesday 20 August 2008

London, here I am!

I've now arrived London, for about 27 hours ago, so I've had tome to settle a little bit. (Actually, right now all my things are on top of my bed, so I'm not that settled yet).

Here I'll just make some sum ups about the most important things I've done/seen/learned so far:

England...
is a great country, as far as I have seen. Outside London, from the airplane, I just stared out the window, looking at all the big mansions and fields. And it's all flat!

London...
is a big city, about the same size as Lima. The houses are like in the movies and on the TV, and so close that if I stretch out the bathroom window, I can touch the neightbours house. (I haven't tried yet, so there's also a slight chanse I'll just fall out)
The tube system seems genious, though I haven't actually been on the tube yet, but I've taken the bus. The buses are nice, and you can easily get aroud by bus as well. I have to get an Oyster card (is that what it's called?), because that's so much cheeper.
This is the famous dubble decker - the real London bus

The people...
are so nice, I haven't met one unfriendly person yet (I guess there is some limit for how many I possibly could have met in that short amount of time, but still...), and I feel really welcome. My family is so nice! I'll try to post pictures of them later. My family members are Louise (my mum), Shuibu (my dad), and my siblings Benjamin/Ben/Benji who will turn two in September, and Joseph who's 7 months or so. And of course I have to count Adrian, my teampartner and now brother (right, Adrian?;))
The vicar in the church is also a nice man, and we met him and some other church members for some planning today.

The church...
is a place with a lot of activity. The building is from 1992, so it's a nice place to spend time. In the church there are activities every day, and including people renting the rooms, there's even a Irish Dance course and a Tae Kwon Do group in it! The church activities I will be involved in are helping out on sundays with the hindu/urdu service, having sunday school, maybe being involved with a girls bible study group, doing some cleaning and set up for various activities, and so on.. There's a lot to do, and I look forward to getting started!

My room...
looks like this, and it's nice! Adrians room is on the top floor, and it's huge (but at the same time it's colder during the winter.. But since his from the north, he's more used to the cold..)

The journey...
was good, although the baggage people at the airport managed to rip of the handles of my (oh, so NOT expensive bag from Peru). But anyways - I got it back like this:
Luckily I won't be needing it for some time, and it costed like 15 NOK or something, so it's not a big deal...

And I have to write something about Alperton...
which is the area of London that I'm living. I'll try to post some pictures for you later, but if I was going to explain with words, I'd have to say this is like India in London! We didn't see nearly none white people in the streets, and the majority here are from Asia, and countries like India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, and actually there's a lot of Polish poeole here too. So this is really a muliticultural area, and I love it! Hopefully I'll find someone from Latin America, so I can practice spanish.

I think that's enough for now. Tomorrow we're going to a student festival in Bath, and we'll be there for some days. More updates will come when I get back! Now I have to go pack...again!

1 comment:

Eirik said...

:) Jeg leser. Håper du koser deg masse videre!